Bacon Mac & Cheese Bites
Approx. 20 Bites
113g/1/4 lb x Macaroni
500ml/16.9floz x Water
35g/2.5tbsp x Unsalted butter
45g/1.58oz x Plain/All purpose flour
300ml-500ml/10.1floz-16.9floz x Milk
1 x Sprig parsley (Finely chopped parsley)
226g/1/2lb x Cheese (Your choice)
2 – 3 Rashes x Smoked bacon
Blue Cheese Dip
3tbsp x Mayonnaise
2 tbsp x Greek yogurt
1 tsp x Onion powder
1 tsp x Garlic powder
1 small sprig x Parsley (Chopped)
3tbsp x Blue cheese
136g/1 cup x Plain/All purpose flour
4 x Eggs (Whisked)
240g/8.4oz x Panko breadcrumbs
Garnishes & Extras
Hot sauce of your choice
1500ml/50floz x Peanut oil (Or oil of your choice)
1) Place the 500ml of water into a medium size sauce pan and place onto a high heat to boil. Once boiling add the macaroni to the pan and cook for 5 – 6 minutes until tender. Once cooked drain into a colander and drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil into the macaroni. Toss the macaroni so the oil is incorporated, this will prevent the macaroni from sticking together.
2) Preheat the oven to 180c/350f. In addition place the bacon rashes onto an oven tray and place the tray into the oven. Cook for 15 – 17 minutes until the bacon is crispy. Take the bacon out of the oven to cool and then chop up the bacon into a small dice.
3) Place a large sauce pan onto the stove, onto a medium heat. In addition add the unsalted butter to the pan. Once melted add the flour and mix well with a wooden spoon to form a roux. Cook out the roux for 2 – 3 minutes then start to slowly add the milk. Also add the milk little by little, allowing the roux to absorb the milk each time. Repeat the process until you have a smooth thick sauce like consistency. In addition cook out the sauce gently for 10 minutes to make sure the flour has been cooked out. Take off the heat and grate the cheese. Add the grated cheese to the sauce and mix well until the cheese has dissolved into the sauce. In addition add the chopped bacon, then finely chop up a small sprig of parsley and add to the sauce. Taste and season with natural sea salt.
4) Mix the sauce with the macaroni and pour out onto a tray to cool down. Once cool place into the fridge to set for 1 – 2 hours. Once cool shape into small golf size balls and place onto a tray, then place the tray back in the fridge.
5) For the blue cheese dip, place all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix well. Taste and season if needed.
6) Into three separate bowls place the flour, whisked eggs and the breadcrumbs. Take the macaroni balls out of the fridge. Dip the macaroni balls into the flour coating them evenly, then into the whisked eggs coating evenly. Then place straight into the breadcrumbs. Then coat back into the whisked eggs and finally back into the breadcrumbs one last time. Use one hand for wet the other for dry to prevent clumping.
7) Pour the peanut oil into a large saucepan, it should not go over half way. If it does takes some out, you do not want the oil bubbling over the top. Place the large sauce pan onto a medium heat. Heat the oil up to 180c/350f. Once hot carefully drop the coated macaroni balls into the oil to cook for 1- 2 minutes until golden and crispy. Once golden lay out onto kitchen roll to absorb an excess oil. Serve with the blue cheese dip and hot sauce.