Baked chicken & Savory Rice
Approx. 4 Portions
453g/1lb x Chicken Carcass
1 x White onion (Peeled & roughly chopped)
2 x Carrots (Peeled & roughly chopped)
1 x Celery stick (Washed & roughly chopped)
1 x Bay leaf
2 x Garlic cloves (Peeled & crushed)
1500ml/50floz x Water
4 x Chicken thighs/drumsticks
2 tsp x Paprika
1 tsp x Ground cumin
1 tsp x Onion powder
1 tsp x Garlic powder
1/2 tsp x Cracked black pepper
2 Pinches x Natural sea salt
250g/1Cup x Long grained rice
500ml/16.9floz x Chicken stock
1 x White onion (Peeled & Diced)
2 x Garlic cloves (Peeled & grated)
1 x Red bell pepper (Deseeded & diced)
2tsp x Ground turmeric
2 tsp x Paprika
1 tsp x Ground cumin
1 x Lemon (Juice)
Handful of garden peas (Add and mix last 5 minutes of cooking)
1) Pre heat your oven to 180c/350f. Place the chicken carcass into a roasting tray and place into the oven for 40 minutes until golden. While the chicken carcass is roasting prepare the vegetables. Peel and roughly chop the white onion. Peel and roughly chop the carrots. Peel and crush the garlic cloves. Wash and roughly chop the celery. Place a large pan onto a medium heat and add a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Once hot add the chopped vegetables and sauté them until caramelized. Take off the heat and wait for the chicken carcass. Once the chicken carcass is ready, carefully take the carcass out of the oven and place into the large pan. Carefully dab the oven tray with kitchen roll to pick up any excess fat. Place the oven tray on to a medium heat and add 250ml/1cup of water. Using a wooden spoon pull up the flavour at the bottom of the pan. Once the flavour has dissolved into the water pour the mix into the large pan. Place the pan back onto a medium heat and add 1500ml of water. Once it comes up to a simmer turn the heat down to a low and cook for 1 – 2 hours. Strain off the chicken stock using a sieve and set aside ready for the rice later.
2) Prepare the chicken thighs and cut through the joints. Trim off any excess fat around the edges of the chicken. Place into a bowl and cover, put into the fridge for later.
3) Pre heat the oven to 180c/350f. Prepare the vegetables for the savory rice. Peel and finely dice the white onion. Peel and grate the garlic cloves. Deseed and dice up the red bell pepper. Place a large pan onto a medium heat with a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Once hot add the vegetables and cook down for 2 – 3 minutes until soft. Add the spices to the pan and cook for a further minute. Then add the rice to the pan and cook for another minute. Take off the heat and pour the rice into a casserole dish or oven tray. Squeeze one lemon juice over the rice catching the pips, followed by the chicken stock. Add 3 pinches of natural sea salt into the tray.
4) Pre heat a large frying pan onto a medium/high heat with a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Grab the chicken from the fridge and season with salt over the skin, including a sprinkle of cracked black pepper. Once the pan is hot place the chicken skin side down into the frying pan for 3 – 4 minutes until golden brown. Turn over the chicken and cook for a further 2 – 3 minutes. Take the chicken out of the pan and place over the top of the rice.
5) In a small dish mix together 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, 2 teaspoons of paprika, 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, 1 teaspoon of onion powder and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder. Using a silicone brush, brush the mix over the chicken until evenly coated. Place a lid over the top or using foil to cover, place into the oven to cook for 30 – 35 minutes. For the last 5 minutes of cooking add a handful of garden peas and place back into the oven. Once the chicken has reached 74c/165f, take out of the oven and serve the chicken with the savory rice.
If you want more guidance on the dish feel free to check out the dish on YouTube below!