Chicken & Bacon Waffle Tacos
Approx 4 – 6 Portions
1 x Large chicken breast (Cut into strips)
1 tbsp x Sambal chili
2 tbsp x Sriracha
1 tsp x Onion powder
1 tsp x Garlic powder
Coating For The Chicken
2 x Eggs (Whisked)
120g/1 Cup x Plain/All purpose flour
60g/2.1oz x Panko crumbs
2 Pinches x Natural sea salt
250g/2 Cups x Plain/All purpose flour
2 tsp x Baking powder
2 tsp x Caster/Fine granulated sugar
Pinch x Natural sea salt
50g/1.7oz x Unsalted butter (Melted)
4 x Egg yolks (Keep the whites to whip)
400ml/13.6floz x Buttermilk
1/4 Head x White cabbage (Sliced)
2 tbsp x Distilled vinegar
1 tsp x Olive oil
1 Pinch x Natural sea salt
Avocado Spicy Puree
1 x Large Avocado (Scooped & pit removed)
1/2 x Lime juice
2 tbsp x Lime cholula
4 – 6 Rashers x Smoked bacon
2 – 4 tbsp x Sour cream
1/4 Head x Spring lettuce mix (Lettuce of your choice)
1) Slice the chicken breast into thin strips and place into a mixing bowl. Add the marinade for the chicken and mix together. Cover and place in the fridge ready to coat with breadcrumbs later.
2) Slice the cabbage and place into a mixing bowl. Add the olive oil, natural sea salt and the distilled vinegar. Mix well and cover, place into the fridge for later.
3) Prepare the avocado and remove the pit. Scoop out the flesh and place into a blender. Add the cholula hot sauce and blend until smooth. Taste and season with natural sea salt if needed.
4) Pre heat the oven 180c/350f. Place the bacon rashers onto a roasting tray and place into the oven. Cook for 5 minutes each side, then take out of the oven. Allow to cool and set aside for later.
5) Pick the lettuce and place into a colander. Wash under cold water and allow to dry.
6) For the waffles place the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. In a second mixing bowl place all the wet ingredients (apart from the egg whites). Mix the two together with a whisk, once incorporated set aside. Whip the egg whites until stiff. Fold some of the stiff egg whites into the waffle mix. Once incorporated add more until you have used all the egg whites.
7) Pre heat your waffle iron and spray with a small amount of oil if needed. Once hot pour a ladle and a half over the top (Depending on your size of waffle iron). Carefully spread out and close the lid. Cook for 1 – 2 minutes until golden crispy. Place the waffles on to a plate and set aside.
8) Pre heat the oven to 180c/350f. Place the flour, whisked eggs and panko crumbs into three separate bowls. Add a pinch of salt to the flour and mix well. Coat the chicken strips into the flour, egg wash and panko crumbs. Keeping one hand wet and the other dry to prevent clumping. Add a table spoon of oil to a baking tray and place the coated chicken strips into the tray. Once the chicken strips are all coated and on to the tray, add another tablespoon of oil drizzled over the top. Place into the oven to cook for 20 minutes, until golden and crispy. If you are not sure if they are cooked, cut into the thickest chicken strip to check.
9) Place the waffles onto a tray and into the oven for 3 – 4 minutes to crisp up. Once they come out, start building the taco with all of the garnishes and then serve.