Approx 6 – 8 Portions
75g/1/3 Cup x Unsalted butter (Cubed)
150g/ 1 1/5 Cup x Plain/All purpose flour
50g/1/2 Cup x Icing/Powdered sugar
1 x Egg yolk
1 – 2 tsp x Milk
Pinch x Natural sea salt
1 x Egg (For egg wash)
425g x Pumpkin Puree
1 Can (354ml/12floz) x Evaporated milk
150g/3/4 Cup x Caster/Fine granulated sugar
1 tsp x Cinnamon
1/2 tsp x Ground ginger
1/4 tsp Ground clove
2 x Eggs
1) Pre heat the oven to 180c/350f. If you are going to use a fresh pumpkin then grab a roasting tray and cut the pumpkin into 4 sections. Remove the seeds and place the pumpkin quarters onto the roasting tray. Add 100ml/1/2 cup water to the tray. Cover with foil and place into the oven. Roast for 1 -2 hours until the pumpkin is soft. Take out and allow to cool before removing the skin. Blend the pumpkin flesh and the puree is ready to go.
2) Prepare the sweet pastry by placing the flour, sugar, salt and cubed butter into a mixing bowl. Using your hands rub the butter into the flour until it is evenly incorporated. Next, add the egg yolk and mix well. If it is not binding then add 1tbsp of milk at a time until bound. Once bound together cover with cling film and allow to rest in the fridge for 15 minutes.
Butter and flour the pie dish or tart mould.
3) Make sure the oven is still at 180c/350f. Take the sweet pastry out and lightly dust the work surface with flour. Using a rolling pin slowly and gently roll the pastry out to the size of your mould. Carefully roll the pastry up with your rolling pin. Grab the inside of the rolling pin so it does not spin off and gently unravel over the mould. Pick up the outsides of the pastry and tuck into the corners on the inside. Once your pie is ready gently cover with foil or you can use baking beans to blind bake. Place into the oven for 10 – 15 minutes until set. Take out of the oven and egg wash the pie to give a good seal. Place back into the oven for a further 3 minutes.
4) For the pumpkin mix, place all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs and whisk the ingredients together until it has formed a paste. Next add the pumpkin puree followed by the evaporated milk. Mix well then carefully pour into the tart mould. With the oven set to 180c/350f, place the pie into the oven to cook for 40 – 50 minutes until set.
5) With the spare pastry you can decorate the top of the pie. Roll out the pastry and cut out a design. Place onto a baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes until set. Allow the pastry to cool and place on top of the pie once cooled.