$10 Meals Vegetable Chili
Approx 4 – 6 Portions
2 x Maris piper/Russet potatoes ($1.00)
1 x Large white onion ($0.50)
1 x Bulb of garlic ($0.50)
1 x Can of plum tomatoes 794g/28oz ($1.50)
1 x Can pinto beans (425g/10oz) ($1.00)
1 x Red bell pepper ($1.00)
1 x Large Carrot ($0.20)
3 x Celery sticks ($0.15)
1 tsp x Cocoa Powder ($0.25)
1 tsp x Marmite ($0.53)
1 x Sweet potato ($1.00)
226g/0.5lbs x Monterey cheese ($1.25)
1/2 x Lime ($0.10)
5 tbsp x Greek yogurt ($1.00)
Total ($9.98) (Baring in mind not including basic committees e.g. Flour, sugar, spices ect)
1 x Large white onion (Peeled & diced)
4 x Cloves garlic (Peeled & grated)
2 tsp x Dried thyme
3 x Sticks of celery (Peeled & diced)
1 x Red bell pepper (De seeded & diced)
1 x Large Carrot (Peeled & diced)
1 tsp x Ground cumin
3 tsp x Paprika
1 tsp x Cayenne pepper
1 tsp x Cocoa powder
1 tsp x Marmite
1 x Can pinto beans or of your choice (425g/10oz)
1 x Can of Plum tomatoes 794g/28oz
2 x Maris piper/Russet potatoes (Washed & pricked)
Sweet Potatoes (To add to the chili)
1 x Sweet potato (Cut into quarters)
Pinch x natural sea salt
2 tbsp x Oil
5 tbsp x Greek yogurt
1/2 x Lime juice
Pinch x Natural sea salt
1 tsp x Honey/sugar
226g/0.5lbs x Monterey cheese (Grated)
1) Pre heat the oven to 180c/350f. Wash and prick the potatoes. Wrap them both in foil with a pinch of salt and then place them onto a oven tray. Then pop them straight into the oven to cook for 2 hours, until soft.
2) Place a large pan onto the stove on a medium heat. Prepare the vegetables and add one tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add the onions, garlic, celery and thyme to the pan. Cook out for 3 – 4 minutes until soft. Then add the diced red bell pepper followed by the diced carrot. Add the spices to the pan with the cocoa powder and the Marmite. Add the can of pinto beans and the plum tomatoes. Add 200ml or 1 cup of water to the pan, this will prevent it from catching at the bottom of the pan. Turn the heat down to a low heat and cook down for 2 hours. Make sure to occasionally stir and add more water if needed.
3) Prepare the sweet potatoes and place them into a large oven tray. Add the oil and the salt, mixing them well so they are coated evenly. Place the tray into the oven for 20 – 30 minutes until soft without too much colour.
4) Grate the cheese and place into a bowl till later. Prepare the lime yogurt and place into a bowl till later.
5) Once the chili is cooked add the sweet potatoes and mix well. Taste and season with natural sea salt if needed. Once the potatoes are cooked take out of the oven and open up the foil. Cut the potatoes into a cross and add some of the cheese. Wrap the potato back up in the foil and let it stand for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
6) Take the potato out of the foil and pour some of the chili over the top and top up with more cheese. Finish the dish off with lime yogurt.
You can check out the video below for more guidance on the dish on YouTube!