$10 Meals Vegetable Lasagna
Approx 4 – 6 Portions (The photo is double the recipe)
1 x Medium white onion ($0.47)
1 x Garlic Bulb ($0.50)
1 x Aubergine/Eggplant ($0.70)
1 X Red bell pepper ($1.00)
2 x Courgettes/Zucchini ($1.00)
1 x Can of chopped tomatoes 411g/14.5oz ($1.00)
2 x Plum tomatoes ($0.40)
225g/8oz x Part skimmed mozzarella cheese ($2.50)
155g/5.5oz x Monterry jack cheese ($1.35)
Total $8.92 (Baring in mind not including basic committees e.g. Flour, sugar, spices ect)
2 x Courgettes/Zucchini (Sliced long ways)
1 X Red bell pepper (Deseeded & Cut into cheeks)
1 x Aubergine/Eggplant (Sliced long ways)
2 Pinches x Natural sea salt
3 tbsp x Vegetable oil
1/2 x Medium white onion (Peeled & Diced)
4 x Garlic cloves (Peeled & Grated)
1 tsp x Dried thyme
2 x Plum tomatoes (Diced)
1 x Can of chopped tomatoes (411g/14.5oz)
2 tsp x Caster/Granulated sugar
1 tsp x White vinegar
200g x Plain/All purpose flour
2 x Eggs
20ml/0.6floz x Olive oil
1 Pinch x Natural sea salt
50g/1.7oz x Unsalted butter
60g/2.1oz x Plain/All purpose flour
600 – 700ml/20 – 23floz x Milk
155g/5.5oz x Monterey jack cheese (Grated)
Natural sea salt
1/2 tsp x Cracked black pepper
225g/8oz x Part skimmed mozzarella cheese (Sliced to go on top when layering)
You will also need a 20 – 20 cm/ 8 x 8 inch Oven proof dish
1) Heat up a cast iron char grill pan for the vegetables. Preheat the oven to 180c/350f. Coat the vegetables evenly with vegetable oil. Once the cast iron pan is hot char grill the vegetables. If you do not have a char grill pan then you can skip this step and put straight into the oven. Once the vegtables are charred place evenly onto one or two oven trays and season with natural sea salt. Place into the oven to cook for 20 minutes to soften slightly. Once slightly soft take out and set aside to cool.
2) Place a medium size sauce pan on to a medium heat with one tablespoon of vegetable oil. Once hot add the onions, garlic and the dried thyme. Cook the onions down for 5 minutes until soft. Add the chopped plum tomatoes and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients. Add 150ml/5floz of water into the pan, then turn the heat down to a low. Cook the tomato sauce down for 1 hour and making sure you stir it occasionally so it does not burn. After it’s cooked blend and season with natural sea salt if needed.
3) Place a large pan of water on to boil for the pasta. Place all the pasta ingredients into a mixing bowl. Mix well until it has formed a dough and take out of the mixing bowl. Knead the pasta dough for 5 minutes until it is smooth. Cut the pasta into 4 equal size portions and dust the work surface lightly with flour. Carefully roll out each pasta sheet into a square of the oven proof dish or until you can see through the pasta sheets. Once the water is boiling grab a bowl of ice water ready to take out the pasta to stop the cooking process. Drop each pasta sheet in carefully into the boiling water and cook for two minutes. Once cooked place into the ice water to stop the cooking process. Once all the pasta sheets are cooked leave in the water for later.
4) Place a large pan onto a medium heat adding the butter for the cheese sauce to melt. Once melted add the flour and whisk into the butter forming a sandy texture roux. Cook out the roux for 2 minutes then start slowly adding the milk little by little. Carefully whisk the milk into the roux until it has been absorbed and repeat the process until you have the correct consistency. Carefully taste the sauce and once there is no flour like taste, take off the heat and add the grated Monterrey jack cheese. Whisk well until the cheese has dissolved into the sauce and taste. Season with natural sea salt if needed and 1/2 tsp of cracked black pepper.
5) Pre heat the oven to 180c/350f. Drain off the pasta and carefully dab it dry with kitchen roll. Start layering the lasagna starting off with the charred vegetables and then some of the tomato sauce. Followed by one of the pasta sheets and then the cheese sauce using it sparingly. Finally place a few slices of the mozzarella on the sauce. Repeat the process until you’re at the top of the dish with the cheese sauce and the mozzarella. Place onto a tray to prevent any spillages in the oven. Place into the oven for 20 – 30 minutes until golden brown. Take out and allow to rest for 15 minutes before slicing.