$10 Meals Cottage Pie
Approx 4 Portions
500g/1.1lbs x Ground Beef Mince ($2.50)
1 x Medium white onion ($0.47)
1 x Garlic Bulb ($0.50)
1 x Can tomatoes 411g/14.5oz ($1.00)
2 x Large russet potatoes ($1.20)
1/2 x Head Broccoli ($0.50)
4 x Carrots ($0.70)
115g/4oz x Monterry Jack cheese ($1.00)
110ml/3.7floz x Milk ($0.50)
110g/3.8oz x Unsalted butter ($0.75)
1tbsp x Worcestershire sauce ($0.20)
(This will fill a 20 – 20 cm/ 8 x 8 inch glass oven proof dish)
Total ($9.22) (Baring in mind not including basic committees e.g. Flour, sugar, spices ect)
1 x Medium white onion (Peeled & Diced)
4 x Garlic Cloves (Peeled & Grated)
500g/1.1lbs x Ground Beef Mince
1 x Carrot (Peeled & Diced)
1 tsp x Dried thyme
1 tsp x Dried Oregano
1 x Can tomatoes 411g/14.5oz
1 tbsp x Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp x Cracked black pepper
500g/1.1lbs x (2 Large) Russet potatoes
110g/3.8oz x Unsalted butter
110ml/3.7floz x Milk
1/2 x Head Broccoli
3 x Carrots (Peeled & Sliced)
115g/4oz x Monterry Jack cheese
1) Place a large sauce pan onto a medium heat with a tablespoon of oil. Once the pan is hot add the diced onions and the grated garlic. Cook down for 2 minutes until the onions have softened. Add the diced carrots with the herbs cooking down for a further 2 minutes. Take off the heat and set aside.
2) Place a frying pan onto a high heat with a tablespoon of oil. Once hot add a little bit of the beef into the pan to brown off. Once the meat has browned put the beef into the large saucepan with the onion mix. Repeat the process until all the beef is used up. Deglaze the pan with a splash of water at the end and pour into the large saucepan.
3) Place the large sauce pan back onto a low heat adding the can of tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and the cracked black pepper. Add a cup of water to stop it from drying out. Cook for about 2 hours topping it up with water if needed to stop it from catching on the bottom of the pan.
4) Wash and peel the potatoes then cut them up into equal cuts. This will help the potatoes cook evenly. Cover with water and add a pinch of salt. Place on a high heat and boil for 20 – 30 minutes until the potatoes soften. While waiting for the potatoes to cook place the butter and milk into a small pan onto a low heat. Drain the potatoes off and put the potatoes back into the pan. Place the pan onto a medium heat to dry the potatoes out for 20 seconds stirring the potatoes. Once the potatoes are dry, mash them or put them through a potato masher. When the butter has melted into the milk take off of the heat and add the buttery mix little by little, mixing it into the mash. Taste and season with natural sea salt.
5) Pre heat the oven to 180c/350f. Once the beef mix is ready, taste and season with natural sea salt if needed. Assemble the cottage pie with the beef mix on the bottom and the mash potato on top. Scatter a handful of grated cheese over the top and place the dish onto a oven tray. Place into the oven and cook for 20 – 30 minutes until golden brown.
6) While waiting for the cottage pie place a pan of water on to boil. Add the carrots and cook for 15 minutes until soft. For the last 5 minutes add the broccoli florets and then drain once cooked. Take out the cottage pie and allow to rest for 5 minutes then serve with the vegetables.
For more guidance on this dish check out the video below on YouTube! Made live on twitch CHEFJOHNREED – Twitch