Chicken & Mushroom Pie
Ingredients & Equipment
( Makes 1 pie ) 6 – 8 people
1 x Whole Chicken (Medium Size)
400g / 14oz x Plain Flour
200g / 7oz x Butter (Unsalted)
6 tbsp x Water
Pinch Natural sea salt
75g / 2.6 oz x Butter
80g / 2.8 oz x Plain flour
700ml / 2.9 cups x Milk
1 x tsp Marmite / Concentrated chicken stock
227g / 8 oz x Mushrooms
2 tsp x Yellow mustard /Dijon
Pinch natural sea salt
Pinch cracked black pepper
1/2 x White onion
2 x Garlic cloves
1 x Sprig fresh thyme
1 x Carrot
1 x Handful frozen peas
2 x Eggs
Vegetable oil / Canola oil
Anti bacterial spray
Foil pie tray / Oven proof pie dish (9.5 inchs or 24cm)
1) Using a sharp knife to cut down the whole chicken into portions
2) Bag up the portions apart from the chicken breasts & clean down.
3) Make the pastry, rub the butter and flour until it is well incorporated. Then add a small amount of water to help it bind together into a dough.
4) Also pre heat your oven 180c / 350f. Butter & flour your pie dish & roll your pastry with your rolling pin to the appropriate size of your pie dish.
5) Using a fork, poke holes into the pastry and place into the oven for 5 – 10 minutes cooking it without colour. Whisk the egg for the egg wash and brush over the pastry to fill the holes. Back into the oven for a further 3 – 5 minutes.
6) Prepare the chicken filling. Season your chicken breasts and place a frying pan onto a high heat. Sear your chicken breast skin side down until golden for about 5 minutes. Flip the chicken and place into the oven for 30 – 35 minutes depending on the size of the chicken breast. Take out of the oven and once cooled chop into chunks keeping the juices as well in a bowl.
7) Next chop your onion and grate your garlic clove. Peel your carrots & chop into small cubes. Slice your mushrooms. Pick the thyme leaves and set aside.
8) Place a frying pan onto a medium heat adding a tablespoon of oil. Once hot add the onions, garlic and thyme. Once soft add the mushrooms and carrots, cooking down for a further 5 minutes. Take off the heat and set aside placing the mix into a bowl.
9) Also place a medium size pan onto a medium heat. Add the butter and once melted add the flour whisking to form a roux. Cook out the roux for 2 – 3 minutes. Then add the milk bit by bit. Repeat the process until you have a good consistency for the sauce and allow it to cook out for a further 5 minutes. Take off the heat, add the mustard, marmite and the mix of vegetables into the sauce. Allow the mix to cool and add the chopped chicken, juices and the frozen peas. Taste & season with natural sea salt if needed.
10) Once the mix has cooled, add the frozen peas mixing well. Pour the mix into your pie mould and set aside.
11) Adjust the temperature of your oven to 200c / 400f
12) Roll out the remaining dough for the pie lid, and brush the edges of the cooked pie crust with egg wash. Carefully lay the rolled pastry over the top crimping the sides. Egg wash and poke two holes into the top to allow the steam to come out.
12) Finally place the pie onto a tray just in case you have any leaks and place into the oven for 20 – 25 minutes until golden.
Also check out the video below we made live on Twitch.tv, shown on YouTube!